Part 7 Benefits
What are they?
These are benefits provided by ICBC under Part 7 of the Insurance (Vehicle) Act of British Columbia.
Who is covered?
- Coverage is provided to most people injured or killed in a motor vehicle accident in BC for “reasonable” and “necessary” medical expenses not covered by MSP and for temporary disability from work.
- The benefits are available regardless of who is at fault for the accident. As a result these benefits are sometimes known as "no fault benefits."
- The benefits sometimes seem better in theory than in reality. ICBC puts lots of restrictions on what it pays under Part 7 and it is often very hard to get compensated for many types of medical treatment, especially if a doctor, including one arranged by ICBC, does not agree that you need the treatment.
- If you have extended medical coverage, or short or long term disability insurance, you must claim under those policies before you will be eligible for any benefits under Part 7.
How do I apply for Part 7 benefits?
We will apply for Part 7 benefits on your behalf. We will obtain the information ICBC needs to approve your application while at the same time preserving the privacy of your medical and employment information to the greatest extent possible.
If you are employed at the time you are injured and left unable to work as a result you will probably be entitled to temporary total disability benefits until you can get back to work. The amount payable is based on what you were earning and the maximum is $300 per week.
ICBC is required to pay for various types of medical treatment such as physiotherapy and chiropractic treatment where it is recommended by a doctor. Other types of treatment aimed at rehabilitation are provided at the discretion of ICBC. The maximum medical rehabilitation benefits available are $150,000.
If you are the primary homemaker in your household but are disabled from doing housework, ICBC will pay up to $145 per week to cover housekeeping costs.
- Funeral expenses up to a maximum of $2,500
- Loss of support benefits